Thursday 5 May 2011

Unit 2 Student Evaluation

Before I started A Level Media, I had already completed a Media GCSE. I had basic skills of how to use Photoshop, Illustrator, Garageband and Final Cut. I feel that my skills have grown massively throughout Unit 2 as I can now work independently on Photoshop and I'm not scared to test things and try things out. I will still ask for help if I am struggling with certain things or if I don't know how to do something. I used Photoshop to create my magazine cover. I had previously made a magazine cover in GCSE so I found this simple to do and it didn't take me long to complete it. I think that my cover is suitable for its audience as it isn't packed with cover lines or splashes. It is simple and only has a few cover lines so the audience is not distracted. I struggled with Garageband as I found this hard to use in Year 10 when I did it in ICT. I found the program very confusing and long winded, I wouldn't like to use it again as I found it difficult to use. I used Garageband to make my podcast. I feel that my podcast wasn't very good as I couldn't think of an original idea, so I talked about the Top 10 singles in that weeks chart. Many people in my class did this as it was the quickest idea to come up with. My skills on Illustrator are still very small as I haven't done too much on it, but I have used it a few times to help my A Level Graphics course. We used Final Cut Express to create Special Effect videos and a continuity exercise. I already knew the basics of Final Cut as in GCSE I had made a full length music video as part of my coursework. I find making videos fun as it allows me to become quite creative instead of making a podcast or a magazine cover, which I do find quite boring.

I get involved and interested in other people's work as they could be doing something that I don't know what to do and I will be able to learn off them and this will add to my skills. When I give feedback I usually walk past people's work saying that I like it or I will give feedback that could improve their work. If people ask me for help I will go and help them, as it lets me practice my skills. When I research for my work I use an influence map, as this creates a canvas of images that I can take ideas from and use in my work. I like to use this method as its different from just putting pictures into a Word document and printing them off or putting them into Blogger. I like my presentation to be neat as I think that it makes my Unit look more professional. we had to present our treatment to the class to get positive and negative feedback. We sat around a table and read out our treatments with our chosen song playing in the background. I was open to the feedback I got from the group and I took one of the comments on board and added it to my video at the end. Looking at the video now I think it was a good scene to put in as it provided a twist and something to shock the viewer.

I think I work well under direction as I follow all the instructions that are given to me. I will always try and do something for myself so I don't have to ask for help again. In a group I tend to try and take control, but we haven't done much group work apart rom our continuity and special effects videos. When we do videos I prefer to be behind the camera rather than in the frame, but I gave another person in my group the chance to record.

I think I am quite creative as I think of crazy ideas that I would never be able to do, so I have to revert to a simpler idea. I work accurately and meet my deadlines. I hate being late so I stay behind longer and work in most of frees to make sure everything is in on time. I use the college's media equipment quite a lot, but more often I use their Mac's and Macbook's. I use these as all the Media I have done has been on a Mac and I know all the controls and shortcuts. Using a PC would be completely different and would probably confuse me.

I support other members of my group in their work and help them to meet deadlines if they are struggling to do something. I share tasks out as I like to be assigned a role that lets me get on with things. Having a deadline with a group is more challenging as you may not have a group that gets on with things and are lazy. When this happens I tend to get stressed as I like things to be finished on time. I often give feedback on my peers work as I like to give constructive feedback to them.

I could improve my skills by making videos, posters and podcasts in my free's and I could also improve them by attending educational courses and by doing work experience at a media or graphic design company. I would improve my skills on the areas I am not too good at so these would be Illustrator, Garageband and Final Cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment